 Administrative / General / 8783
Re: Entry for the Town building contest (Was: Town building contest begins!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 23:33:57 GMT

Thank you for drawing this to my attention -- indeed you are correct!  Turns
out I made an idiotic mistake in my URL rewriting mechanism -- whereby all
%XX-encoded characters accidentally got decoded into raw 8-bit form and sent
to the browser that way.

I take it back -- there wasn't a jump.cgi bug at all.  I've reverted it to
the previous working version.

I forgot that the % charcter becomes encoded by the article-display code, so
the URL that invokes jump.cgi is actually this, with double URL encoding (note
that % is encoded here to be %25)...

http://www.lugnet.com/jump.cgi?http://hugin.ldraw.org/LEGO/Transport/Skibe/Rob%25E5d/

...which jump.cgi receives and morphs into this...

http://hugin.ldraw.org/LEGO/Transport/Skibe/Rob%E5d/

...which gets sent back to the web browser like this...

Location: http://hugin.ldraw.org/LEGO/Transport/Skibe/Rob%E5d/

...which is supposedly (but currently not actually) the correct URL.  But
jump.cgi is performing correctly.

I suspect that when Jacob tested the link, it worked for him because he
has (I'm guessing) his language-accept settings set to Danish, and his
webserver saw this and automagically served him this page:

http://hugin.ldraw.org/LEGO/Transport/Skibe/Rob%E5d/index.da.html

Maybe it would work if there were an index.en.html or index.html file in that
directory?

I'm not sure why the error page on hugin.ldraw.org is reporting that it got
a raw 8-bit character in its URL.  I suspect it's a bug in the webserver and
it's reporting the URL on the page after %XX-decoding it.

--Todd