 Administrative / General / 8782
Re: Entry for the Town building contest (Was: Town building contest begins!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 23:15:58 GMT

In lugnet.town, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.town, Jacob Sparre Andersen writes:
Kevin:
Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote in message ...
Let me know when the link works, Jacob, and I'll add it to the page.
Strange that you have problems. I posted through the web interface
and remembered to check the link before I committed the article. -
And I _know_ that it is correct!
Looks like a jump.cgi problem...

Thank you for drawing this to my attention -- indeed you are correct!  Turns
out I made an idiotic mistake in my URL rewriting mechanism -- whereby all
%XX-encoded characters accidentally got decoded into raw 8-bit form and sent
to the browser that way.  Thus, it was outputting this HTTP header:

   Location: http://hugin.ldraw.org/LEGO/Transport/Skibe/Robåd/

...when it should've been outputting this:

   Location: http://hugin.ldraw.org/LEGO/Transport/Skibe/Rob%E5d/

Since the 8-bit character å isn't a kosher URL character, this may fail on
some browsers and work on some browsers.

Note:  you *might* need to restart your browser and/or flush its cache to
make the link work correctly.

However, even with this jump.cgi fix, this doesn't apparently fix the ultimate
problem (the page not appearing).  As far as I can tell, the target webserver,
hugin.ldraw.org, is still refusing to serve the page at the supposedly correct
URL.  (More below.)

If I click on the link, it doesn't work;
if I cut & paste it into the address bar, it works.

I get an error page when I cut & paste the URL into Netscape as well as Lynx.
(However, the error page does point me to a page in Danish that does seem to
work.  It's got index.da.html on the end.)  Your browser must be a lot more
lenient about URLs that contain non-ASCII characters.

Jacob, could you confirm the correct and canonical URL?

--Todd