 Administrative / General / 8638
8637  |  8639
Subject:
Not setting followups correctly (was Re: Blonde female minifig hair - does it exist?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 2001 17:53:01 GMT

In lugnet.build, Kevin Wilson writes:
Amy Hughes wrote in message ...

Which you'll hopefully announce in fewer newsgroups than the last one.

Announcing in lots of newsgroups is not so much the problem (sometimes it's
appropriate), it's the followups. If you notice, the Town building contest
was announced in LOTS of newsgroups - but with FUT set to town, all the
discussion resulting has automatically stayed where it belongs.

Totally agree. I think we discussed this recently in admin.general, and the
consensus is that once the initial post has followups set incorrectly it is
very VERY tough to fix later because every single person has to realise
there is a problem, and realise where it should go.

Posts (like I sometimes try) plaintively asking that followups be set
correctly cause 1/3 of the posts (at best) subsequently to go to the right
place, making the discussion even MORE choppy since the OT groups see 2/3 of
the discussion but not all.

There WAS some talk of trying to suppress posts that didn't have followups
set well... but no consensus. It's hard to tell what "well" means and hard
to do consistently across all types.

(FUT .admin.general)

++Lar