 Administrative / General / 8608
    Re: News search function reactivated (was: News search function temporarily disabled) —Dan Jezek
   (...) Very good! Although the new search doesn't return most recent articles first like it used to. Is that how it should work? Now I can't see most recent posts that contain the keyword I want to search for, which makes the search pretty much (...) (23 years ago, 2-Jan-01, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

        Re: News search function reactivated (was: News search function temporarily disabled) —Todd Lehman
   (...) Not yet, no. See "to-do soon" section in previous post. (...) For now, if you don't mind URL mucking, you can manually append &qs=<number> to the URL and it will use that number (in seconds) as a time delta. For example, to limit posts to the (...) (23 years ago, 2-Jan-01, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

        Re: News search function reactivated (was: News search function temporarily disabled) —Steve Chapple
     (...) <snip> (...) I would have to concur. (...) < goes away and tries it... > Umm - Would it not make sense to simply include the appropriate qualifier on the system side? (I tried it and got two year old results for "qs", but I'm probably doing (...) (23 years ago, 2-Jan-01, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

        Re: News search function reactivated (was: News search function temporarily disabled) —Dan Jezek
   (...) It works great! ... but the &qs doesn't carry over to the next page of results. So if I want to see more pages, I have to edit the querystring on each page. Since you already have the inner workings of this in place, it would be really easy to (...) (23 years ago, 3-Jan-01, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

        Re: News search function reactivated (was: News search function temporarily disabled) —Todd Lehman
   (...) oops, doy! I didn't put in the propagation of that URL term. I don't consider it 100% "documented" yet (it's still subject to change without notice), but I still shouldn't have missed that. Thanks. I'll fix that. The reason it's subject to (...) (23 years ago, 3-Jan-01, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

        Re: News search function reactivated (was: News search function temporarily disabled) —Dan Jezek
     (...) Wow! So you have terms for the ampersand options in a URL? My standpoint on this would be to put everything in a form and kill 2 birds with 1 stone - not having to think of how to name URL terms (unless you enjoy doing that) and having the (...) (23 years ago, 3-Jan-01, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

         Re: News search function reactivated (was: News search function temporarily disabled) —Todd Lehman
     (...) Ya, exactly -- first name the URL components carefully and then put a user- friendly level on top of it. Best of both worlds. (...) Ah, I see. Yeah, that could be helpful in certain cases, if you're scouring tons of results! I've needed to (...) (23 years ago, 3-Jan-01, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

        Re: News search function reactivated (was: News search function temporarily disabled) —Dave Low
   (...) Todd, this would be really useful. I'll often search for a recent post, only remembering the poster's name and maybe one or two key-words, and that the post was in the past few days. I don't need two year old messages nearly as frequently. (...) (23 years ago, 5-Feb-01, to lugnet.admin.general)