 Administrative / General / 856
Re: Posting with MIME encoded FROM header
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 14:41:00 GMT

Fredrik Glöckner <fredrik.glockner@bio.uio.no> writes:

[...]

I suspect this problem is going to become increasingly observed as more and
more people come onboard with ISO-8859-1 characters above 128.

Indeed, yes.  What's the status for the mail->news gateway, BTW?  If
there are people there with non-ASCII characters in their names, things
are bound to conflict sooner or later.  Unless they use exclusively
ASCII characters in their FROM headers, of course.

Haven't encountered any problems yet (that have been reported, anyway) but
I'll bet that if +128 characters aren't ISO-8859-1 encoded on the way out,
the problem is going to pop up sooner or later.

That way, the article would be stored on the server using native
ISO-8859-1 encoding rather than the unreadable ASCIIfications.

This sounds like a nice idea.

I guess I'll need to stuff in an ISO-8859-1 encoder as well as a decoder.

The encoder would be invoked only during news-to-mail conversion.  The
decoder would be invoked just prior to 'From'-line verification -- past the
stage of mail-to-news conversion, but before article injection.

--Todd