 Administrative / General / 855
Re: Posting with MIME encoded FROM header
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 13:04:54 GMT

lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) writes:

Hmm, I don't know.  At first I want to say no it shouldn't -- because it's
totally unreadable with that encoding.

This was my first reaction as well.  It has always been considered bad
and ugly to post anything MIME encoded on news.  But as you say
yourself, this practice is becoming increasingly common, so you are
probably going to be be confronted with it sooner or later.

But OTOH, maybe yes it should, because maybe modern newsreaders are
smart enough to decode that into 8-bit ISO characters on the screen
and not show garbage squiggly encoding characters.  But I bet that's
hoping too much.  :-)

It's certainly hoping to much to think that _all_ newsreaders should
decode MIME encoded headers.  But RFC2047 headers have been used a long
time already, so I think a lot of news/mail readers have the capability
by now.

Over here, it is common for people to have non-ASCII names, so the
alternatives are to send it along as 8bit chars, which means the
"Glöckner" becomes "Glvckner" if the mail passes through a site which
does not support 8 bits, or to MIME encode it.  And the latter is
becoming usual, even though some mail readers show the result as
"garbage".

I suspect this problem is going to become increasingly observed as more and
more people come onboard with ISO-8859-1 characters above 128.

Indeed, yes.  What's the status for the mail->news gateway, BTW?  If
there are people there with non-ASCII characters in their names, things
are bound to conflict sooner or later.  Unless they use exclusively
ASCII characters in their FROM headers, of course.

That way, the article would be stored on the server using native
ISO-8859-1 encoding rather than the unreadable ASCIIfications.

This sounds like a nice idea.

Fredrik