 Administrative / General / 8353
Re: New Themes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 18:28:39 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jude Beaudin writes:
Todd,
Now that new themes are showing up in stores and in our collections :-),
it may be time to add Studios and Life on Mars into the theme heirarchy
here on LUGNET. After all the LOM comments are falling into .space and
we all know this is not related to Classic Space or one of it's sub-themes.

(I'm assuming you mean the newsgroup hierarchy.)

That's a Good Question.  A Tough Question.  A year ago, I wouldda said, "Yah,
fer sure," but today I'm a bit leary of adding more upper-layer newsgroups
because LEGO seems to be phasing out LEGO SYSTEM and closing the gap between
product programmes (e.g., LEGO SYSTEM, LEGO DUPLO, LEGO BABY, LEGO TECHNIC,
etc.), systems (e.g., Adventurers, Underground, Castle, etc.), and play
themes (e.g., Dino Island, Rock Raiders, Knights' Kingdom, etc.).  That is,
long ago, the new play themes appeared in a clear place within the LEGO
product hiearchy -- but now all the lines are blurred.

Yah, its gotten pretty messy from a differentiation point of view.  It seems
like the current mode is to have 2 or 3 continueing themes like Star Wars,
Adventurers, and Town and to have 1 or 2 one off themes that have expected and
planned one year life spans like Rock Raiders, Arctic and I am guessing LoM
will fall into that catagory too.

Definitely wouldn't want top level groups for one off play themes as they will
have a short burst of traffic an probably die off.

As more new official (and unofficial) building categories pop up, these sorts
of questions cross my mind more and more.  For example, we don't currently
have any good area for talking about ancient stuff -- Rome, Greece, Egypt,
temples, coliseums, etc.  That could go under .build like .mecha did, but
maybe an upper-layer group would be better, even in the absense of an official
product category.

Personally I think the .build hierarchy is great.  Granted a lot of the ancient
stuff could go under .build.arch there are other things that don't necessarily
fit in .arch that are ancient.  I am all for expanding .build though to include
things that don't fit past or current LEGO themes.  Although a large part of
LoM seems to be trying to pick up on the Mecha market.

Whatever you decide I am sure it will work.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/