 Administrative / General / 8206
8205  |  8207
Subject:
Concerning Prevention of abuses and Authenticated logins
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 13:37:25 GMT

Dear Todd,
     In a recent posting somone mentioned the possiblity of having
authenticated logins.

I feel that for regualr Lugnet users/posters this might be a very good idea!

Potentialy It could actualy save us time as we don't need to enter
(potentially in Error) the details needed for authentication each time.

A password is also more secure as it can configured to conform to stronger
security rules than a name and e-mail combination.

Of course to change the details of the password and the associated user
requires a user to know the correct password and so fraud is less likley
(but sadly not theroetically impossible).

I would therfore suggeste that you examine the possiblity of having
somsething simmilar to My Deja.. A kind of My Lugnet, Posting would then
require you to login to a special (secured) portion of the server- Thus
potentaly increasing the security of traffic between posters and LUGNET as
well as ensuring more acurate authentication.

A side-effect of having these scheme would be that individual users could
elect to be informed of new mesages in certian groups or to have 'favourite'
groups.  For other possibiltes look at My Deja..

I lookforward to your response on the issues raised as despite being a
fan-cretad site, LUGNET appears to have a simmilar outlook on the systems
impact and uasge to that employed on large-scale COMMERCIAL systems! In
another thread somebody stated that Lugnet seemed to have HIGHER standards
about privacy and secuirty issuses than more well known information systems...

Comments welcomed..

Alex