 Administrative / General / 8
Re: A few questions about news:lugnet.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 00:02:03 GMT

ardjan.besse@telekabel.at (Ardjan Besse) writes:

Hi there!

Thinking about this project, a few questions came up to me...

How are binaries handled? Is there a filter active, that blocks postings
longer as x lines? Or does the newsserver put a filter on the sender?

Smart content-analyzing filter which analyzes text blocks for binary-
looking patterns.  Also looks at NNTP headers for additional hints.

How is spam handled? Also with a filter?

Not currently handled.

Do you, Todd, plan to release the newsgroups in 'public', ie in the
worldwide Usenet?

No.

If so, than spam, and e-mail collector-bots have free
path... When you don't plan them to get free, spamblocks won't be neccesary,
or am I to optimistic?

I think spamblocks might someday become necessary from the server point of
view.  Hopefully no one will abuse the system, but we're not counting on
everything working like sunshine and lollipops all day every day.  :)

How long are posts being kept? I mean, when I'm off-line for a week or so
(holiday?), do I miss stuff afterwards?

Right now, there's no expiring of articles.  Later, things will probably be
kept a month or more, depending on the traffic in the group.  We'll have to
make it up as we go.

If a group has more than 2000 messages and it's only been 3 days, then the
group would probably be split, or the expiration time on articles would be
shortened.

Is there a binaries-newsgroup planned for MindStorms programs,
LDraw-files/parts and so on?

Not currently.

Sorry for these questions, just got me thinking...

No apology necessary!  I'm sure lots of people are wondering similar
things.

--Todd