 Administrative / General / 7777
Re: Any having trouble accessing lugnet.com subdomains?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 20:06:40 GMT

Someone in the Washington, D.C. area is reporting having trouble accessing
things on img.lugnet.com and news.lugnet.com...possibly some kind of DNS
confusion somewhere.  (img.lugnet.com is where images from the sets database
are served.)
DNS on these has been up for...hmm...about a month...so it should really be
propagated everywhere it needs to be by now.  The weird thing is, the people
who are having trouble with this today weren't having trouble with it at all
earlier; it just sorta started not working for them all of a sudden.

This probably helps not at all, but FWIW, I'll comment that we've had similar
problems with other websites, and yes, even with LUGNET when connecting
through Juno (god how I'd kill to not have to use a modem).

Anyway, suffice to say that the DNS entries for select sites are flaky from
Juno. My roomate first noticed it when trying to connect to excite.com (she's
got an email account there), but www.excite.com just didn't show up. It just
plain wasn't there. When telnetting to a remote host, we could successfully
use lynx to access excite, it just wouldn't work from Juno itself.

Following this, we noticed the problem with other websites-- both major and
not. Also, ICQ had problems connecting as well, and 10% of the time wouldn't
connect. www.lugnet.com didn't appear once, and after closing our connection
and re-trying it (within 10 minutes), it worked fine. Excite, however, very
consistantly fails (say, 80% of the time now, rough guess).

Hence, we tend to lay the blame on whatever name servers Juno uses. At a
guess, I'd say the same my be true for this person as well... perhaps there's
some sort of glitch such that the DNS entry hasn't filtered to the server
they're connecting through, or it's ben 'screwing up' 'somehow', similar to
our lovely experiences.

Anyway, perhaps on the off-chance they're using Juno, this info may help-- or
at least make it more bareable. Misery loves company, after all :)

DaveE

Addendum- Juno suggested we try different dial-in numbers to fix our problem.
We tried. They lied. It didn't work. We hate juno. We hate zyan (week 18 of
our "guaranteed" 4-6 week installation time for DSL). I think I shall now
refuse to even capitalize their names.

PS- We also hate aol, but for no particular reason, other than aol 5.0 managed
(God knows how) to infect the BIOS of a pentium. Oh yes, and their browser is
ugly. We're just generally pessimistic about internet providers, I guess.
Maybe we just enjoy complaining.