 Administrative / General / 7747
Re: LUGNET Memberships
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 2000 21:58:56 GMT

In lugnet.people, Kevin Loch writes:
Ack!  Don't you realize that's much more insecure than your semi-secure
easially rememberable passwords?

Of course not -- because that's patently false.

Uhhh, if you chronically have trouble remembering good passwords, you should
be writing them down and putting them somewhere *safe* that you trust -- like
your dresser drawer at home, or a jewelry case, or somewhere else safe behind
lock and key that you already trust.  Then, if you should happen to forget
your passwords, you can look them up and refresh your memory.  There's nothing
inherently insecure about written-down passwords.  And something like a PayPal
password (if you can't remember it), write that down encoded somehow, to foil
burglars.

Even if your password is written down and you carry it with you wherever you
go in your wallet, that's *much* better than having a bad password.  Think.
The chances of someone stealing a good password from your wallet are *much*
*much* *much* *much* *MUCH* less than the chances of a cracker stealing your
bad and easily breakable password.

This is retarded.

I'm kinda shocked that you would say something like that, much less actually
believe it.  I guess you haven't done the math! (some of which can be found
on the old thread).  We're talking 25-bit number space here, Kevin.

My banks and credit
cards and online trading accounts don't require that much "security", why
does my chat board?

False.  Bank and credit cards require a lot more security than most people
think.  It may seem as though your bank card is protected by a 4- or 8-digit
PIN number, but that's not true!  Someone has to steal the card off your
person _and_ know the PIN number in order to steal your money.  Oh sure, if
you lost your card and someone found it, they could try brute forcing it at
an ATM -- manually -- at the rate of maybe, at best, 6 or 7 tries per minute,
but unless they're wearing a ski mask, their face is being videotaped.  And
even if they get through and steal your money, if you've reported your card
lost or stolen, you probably won't be held liable.  And even if you didn't
report it stolen in time, you can probably dispute the charges.

On another topic, I love the new personal inventory.  Is there any
way to enter the information in on one page instead of going from set
to set?

Not currently.

--Todd