 Administrative / General / 7724
Re: Nuke Boston (was Re: Resolved: Tall SUVs should not be...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 23:43:57 GMT

In article <20000922173447.A23985@wwind.com>, Dan Boger <dan@wwind.com>
wrote:

On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 08:13:24PM +0000, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
I've set FUT admin.general because I'm wondering if there is any
automated way to prevent this sort of rebroadening and inadvertant
followupism. I doubt it, but maybe someone will suggest something
clever.

only thing I can think of is make o-t.debate a thread jail, and
reject any thread that tries to FUT itself out of there...  Easily
done on the web interface, or mail gateway, but not sure about the
newsgroups...

Is it possible to set the news server to reject or filter out, for all
groups except o-t.debate, any message whose References: header contains
any message whose Newsgroups: or Xref: header contains o-t.debate? That
would eliminate FUT out (barring header hacking, which is impossible to
guard against), and minor modifications would eliminate crossposts from
there as well.

Actually, it might be a good idea to allow References: from o-t.debate
to appear here on admin.general, just to allow for administrative
discussion without header hacking.

--
Mark D. McKean - The Quantum Panda - qpanda@iwaynet.net