 Administrative / General / 7595
Re: Please lower noise
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 09:11:43 GMT

"Fredrik Glöckner" <fredrik.glockner@bio.uio.no> wrote in message
news:qrdwvhbvvay.fsf@masterblaster.uio.no...
"Suzanne D. Rich" <suz@baseplate.com> writes:

"Common" messages really ought not appear under lugnet.lego. There
are other groups available for "dear-lego" posts and for discussion
about one's personal experiences/opinions.

I agree with the intentions of your post as well as the intentions to
keep the noise down at lugnet.lego(.*), however I don't think this
will be fruitful.

Whenever there are interesting posts, people will feel like following
up with their opinions, or even just saying "this is great!" or
somthing to that effect.  However bad this is for the noise level in
lugnet.lego, it's just the nature of the discussion groups.  In the
long run, I don't think you will be able to keep lugnet.lego a low
volume group without any special precautions, for example the ones in
lugnet.announce.

This post is a good example of my point: I just had to follow up with
my opinion, albeit to a different group.  ;-)

Fredrik

Hmm....

I think that there should be some happy medium between Todd & Suz's idea of
the group, and your thoughts of how it will be.  It should be a more serious
group, but that shouldn't mean that all conversation should be lowered
there.  If conversation is on-topic enough, and serious, I say it belongs
there.  But floods of 'me too's' should be directed elsewhere.

I think you both have good ideas for it, and there should be something found
in the middle.
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114