 Administrative / General / 7454
Re: Web interface to LUGNET news moving from www.lugnet.com to news.lugnet.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 19:34:27 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Shiri Dori writes:
[...]
Any way to fix that? Redirecting, or something? I hope it's not too
difficult, maybe something that'll detect "news" and "~" in the same url
and redirect it?

Pretty easy to fix, ya -- to make a redirect over to the www.lugnet.com
URL.

I think the problem is just slightly deeper than that, though...
You certainly don't want member pages in the news section, correct?

Right...when I said the other day that moving the news stuff to a separate
subdomain would solve a lot of problems and that the advantages outweigh the
disadvantages, this is one of the disadvantages -- the confusion here --
and I'll post more about this after I make the final homepage switch and
start tidying up the loose ends.  The good news is that, after it's all said
and done, things will be a lot simpler -- less brain hurtage.

(1) another beef; this doesn't appear as a link.

Well, it's not prefixed with 'http://' and it's not apparently a web link
('www.' prefixes are almost always web site locations).  Typically, domains
of the type news.foo.bar are the names of NNTP servers, which you can access
at port 119.  The display code could be smarter and look up news.foo.bar to
see if there's an HTTP server running on port 80 and convert it to a link
iff that's true, but it doesn't do that now.

--Todd