 Administrative / General / 7446
Re: Web interface to LUGNET news moving from www.lugnet.com to news.lugnet.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 13:37:18 GMT

Hrrmph... I posted a reply to this yesterday night but it never got here.

In lugnet.announce, Todd Lehman writes:
As far as moving the actual content goes, it will be gradual (several
relatively small and painless steps)
<snip>

I've told you before, and I'll say it again - this is a Very Good Thing (tm).
The whole concept of moving the news is good for lugnet, and hopefully the
execution will be smooth as well.

Small-beef-time, though:
Till now, when coming from a lugnet newsgroup (e.g.
www.lugnet.com/castle/org/cw/), it was possible to type "~x/" immediately
after the address and reach a member's page (e.g.
www.lugnet.com/castle/org/cw/~88/), making it easily accessible, especially
since one usually reads the group one wants to create pages in.

But now, when coming from a news.lugnet group (e.g.
news.lugnet.com/castle/org/cw/ (1)), typing a tilde and a number reaches an
empty "Error" page.

Any way to fix that? Redirecting, or something? I hope it's not too difficult,
maybe something that'll detect "news" and "~" in the same url and redirect it?

I think the problem is just slightly deeper than that, though...
You certainly don't want member pages in the news section, correct? But OTOH,
if the pages remain in the lugnet.com part, the upper-level directories of the
former-newsgroups will still be above certain member pages. Youch! What
happens when you remove (if you continue as planned) the current newsgroups?

Just a few things to think about. Sorry in advance for any headaches... I know
mine hurts already.

-Shiri

(1) another beef; this doesn't appear as a link.