 Administrative / General / 7390
Re: 2001 Set info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 01:29:16 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Kevin Loch writes:

Do you really have a legal obligation not to delete posts without a formal
legal request?

I believe that it's wiser and safer to require specific documentation and
only to delete based on requests by original poster or someone whose rights
are being demonstratably violated -- never to delete on whim.  I don't want
ever to open that door.

We may have to agree to disagree on this but there is no difference in kind
between "deleting on whim" (which I agree you should not do) and "enforcing
the T&Cs" (which I think most of us strongly WANT you to do) from a legal
sense. In my somewhat informed opinion. There's a difference in degree but not
in kind. If you think that you're protecting yourself by saying you're not
exercising editorial control, go ahead and think that, but it's a tissue, not
a protection.

(You can make the argument that the T&Cs are "whim" in a sense. It's a
community driven whim to a certain extent, but they are still arbitrary to a
certain extent as well)

To reiterate: You do exercise editorial control here, please keep doing so.

I would only call to confirm if you *disagree* with the request, and
want to see if they *really* mean it.  OTOH, if you think it shouldn't
be on Lugnet and you don't hear from TLC, why not nuke it anyway?

A phone call lays to rest any possibility of e-mail having been forged.
Although SMTP message headers can say a lot about a message's origin, there's
nothing like talking to a real person to confirm something.  At the very
least, it's an additional step in which to gather information which would be
helpful to the community, even if the request is not disagreed with.

Seems prudent.