 Administrative / General / 7386
Re: 2001 Set info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 00:01:19 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Kevin Loch writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Todd Lehman writes:
In the future, I think I will, as a matter of protocol, call LSI Legal and
confirm any email request, even if it comes from LSI Legal, as a formality,
prior to carrying out the legal request -- assuming they can be reached by
phone within a reasonable amount of time.  Today was quick -- phone call was
returned within 20 minutes, and the action taken yesterday was the correct
one.

Why are you so afraid of nuking posts on your own system?

Because, all things being equal, I think it's morally wrong to delete things,
unless required to do so.  It can also open you up to legal issues.

Do you really have a legal obligation not to delete posts without a formal
legal request?

I believe that it's wiser and safer to require specific documentation and
only to delete based on requests by original poster or someone whose rights
are being demonstratably violated -- never to delete on whim.  I don't want
ever to open that door.

I would only call to confirm if you *disagree* with the request, and
want to see if they *really* mean it.  OTOH, if you think it shouldn't
be on Lugnet and you don't hear from TLC, why not nuke it anyway?

A phone call lays to rest any possibility of e-mail having been forged.
Although SMTP message headers can say a lot about a message's origin, there's
nothing like talking to a real person to confirm something.  At the very
least, it's an additional step in which to gather information which would be
helpful to the community, even if the request is not disagreed with.

--Todd