 Administrative / General / 7370
Re: 2001 Set info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 20:04:29 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, James Powell writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Todd Lehman writes:

I have a copy of Brad's email and I will post it for documentation if he
doesn't happen to come forward to explain more.

Not to put you on the spot, but how long do you envision waiting for Brad J.
(or somone at Lego) to post explaining their position before you post his
email?  I'm very interested in insight into (wow, three "in" words in a row)
TLC's reasoning behind this request.

eric

I'm also voting for this.  If you (Todd) are going to cancel a post by someone
at the behest of Lego (who neither sponsor nor endorse LUGNET), release the
legal document asking you to remove it.  I suspect that it was in the form of
a 'please remove this, we are displeased' notice, but not a true legal
warning. In which case, you are CENSORING someone by removing info which they
have posted.

Todd, as the big kahuna, has the right to censor messages at his discretion
since LUGNET IS afterall, his site. He's done it before, he's done it in this
case and I'm sure he'll have to do it again. It's in the best interest of the
LUGNET/TLC relationship.

From the LUGNET Plan:

2.
           To help people share information about LEGO products
           and LEGO-related resources on the World Wide Web by
           setting in motion a community-driven knowledge-base.

Where in there does it say that something that a non-TLC employee cannot
distrbute info which he picked up by using a computer at work, instead of by
going for a walk down the isle with the lego in it?

It is in the spirit of good will between LUGNET and TLC. They give us some
legal leeway in what we do here on LUGNET (Set Reference pictures and
Brickshelf Instruction Scans for example). The information that Jorge posted,
although exciting, is not in the reach of the general public IMO. Neither are
photos on TLC's website. I would rather have them maintain a blind eye to the
blatant copywrite infringements in those databases above in exchange for a
little curtesy, than post some pre-release facts about future sets which will
become public knowledge in a matter of time and suddenly enforce the copywrite
protection that they are entitled to. That's the crux of the matter.

The information is PRE-RELEASE information, not something that can be picked up
by walking down the LEGO isle at Target. As a Target employee Jorge is exposed
to information that is generally not shared with the general public. Yes, I
know he said that it is standard operating procedure to give out that
information when asked, but how many individuals know to ask? In my line of
work, I'm required to sign a non-disclosure statement reinforcing the hold each
company has on their proprietary edge. Maybe TLC should require Target to start
using one as well.

This is what Jorge did, in his digital eq.  It is the same thing as TLC
putting up photos, and then getting angry at us for finding them on the web
page.

LS James Powell

-Duane