 Administrative / General / 7344
Re: 2001 Set info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 01:25:58 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Mike Stanley writes:
[...]
I know Todd's a good guy, so I guess I can hope that he exercised good
judgement, but I guess if we were waiting for a more obvious answer to
the "will Lego have any sort of influence here" we just got it.

Well, you know, the same exact thing would have happened if LEGO had asked
the same thing a year ago.  The only difference now is that they're paying
attention, so they notice things like this.  And they use e-mail, which
makes things go faster.  (Obviously they'd still need someone reading on
weekends if they wanted to catch all leaks.)

There's no doubt in my mind that If I had refused this first formal non-
legal (actually semi-legal) request, that it would not have taken long for
that to turn instead into a full formal legal request.

Thus, the messages were cancelled on the good faith understanding that they
infringed upon TLC's privacy rights (or something) -- Brad will have to
explain exactly what the problem is -- I can't explain it from an official
position.

Opinions may differ on that, of course, and if Todd says he was acting to
protect Lego's privacy, I guess I have to believe him, but this sounds a lot
like grabbing some of the fur off the cat after he's out of the bag and
trying to shove that back in, realizing the cat is still running around in
plain site elsewhere.

I wish I hadn't had to, and I agree with basically what you're saying.

BTW, I wasn't acting to protect their privacy per se, I was acting on a
formal request -- just like when someone on the VLC list's private home
address was posted by someone.  The person who's rights were infringed
requested that it be deleted, and there was documentation of the request.

I have a copy of Brad's email and I will post it for documentation if he
doesn't happen to come forward to explain more.

--Todd