 Administrative / General / 6581
Re: Question for Todd Lehmann about his search engine.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2000 04:47:39 GMT

Thanks!  It will enable me to have a look at and get the individual listings
for the two lines.  Not perfect, but fair enough that I can have a look and
see what other sets I've got to chase after without having to do a lot of
to'ing and fro'ing from one list to the other.

Ideally, a perfect LEGO search engine should be able to bring me back
anything I ask for, however, to be really powerful I suppose it would be
going into a fair bit of programming complexity, and I also understand from
threads I've seen that LugNet's database doesn't go into too much detail,
yet.

I've seen what the search engine over at www.ebay.com is capable of
finding - I don't suppose anyone would want to step up and help to code
something that complex for Todd Lehmann?  :o)

I'm not sure what Todd himself wants to do with it, though it would be nice
to see something more powerful, and the Java applet is another step in the
right direction IMHO.

--
Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde

--
www.fastinternet.net.au/~ghyde
--

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.db.inv, Geoffrey Hyde writes:
Is it possible to search for theme type with a wildcard search?  For
instance, if I wanted to find Space Police I as well as Space Police II, • is
that possible to do?

In terms of sets?  Yes and no, sorta.  If you use the QuickSet interface,

   http://www.lugnet.com/quickset/

which is partly a prototype for something better but still leaves much to
be desired, then you could enter simply

   space police

into the search box and it would show you links to to both the original • Space
Police series and the second Space Police series (as well a set containing • the
name "space police").

For that matter, is it possible to do a wildcard search?  :o)

Not currently, no.

--Todd