 Administrative / General / 6563
RE: New newsgroup request - lugnet.loc.au.marketplace
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2000 22:24:21 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: Kerry Raymond [mailto:kerry@dstc.edu.au]
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2000 7:21 PM
To: lugnet.admin.general@lugnet.com
Subject: New newsgroup request - lugnet.loc.au.marketplace

There has been some discussion lately on lugnet.loc.au about
the need for an
Australian-only sales/auction/etc newsgroup for the following reasons:

* to provide a forum for Australians to
buy/sell/auction/trade with other
Australians, avoiding the hassles of foreign exchange,
overseas postage etc

* to stop any such postings getting lost in the vast volume
of messages sent
to lugnet.market.*

A number of people have complained that the current
lugnet.market.* are a
waste of time for most Australians as many posters are not willing to
buy/sell internationally and don't make this explicit.

What do we have to do to get such a newsgroup established?

Kerry

I'd like to second this. I'd also like to call for a US only market, so
those who only wish to sell in the US can, without anoying people overseas
who see an item is for sale/trade, but when they wish to buy/trade for this
item, are told 'Oops, I should have mentioned that I only sell/trade in the
US'. This would hopefully lead to the marketplace being used solely for
international sales/trades/auctions.

Alternatively, could you make it a requirement that any item in the
marketplace have a prefix like (xxx)FT/FS/FA, with (xxx) representing the
country/regionthat the sale/trade/auction applies to [eg AUS=Australia,
USA=USA, NA=North America(Canada/US/Mexico?), INT=International, etc], and
that anyone not adhereing to this lose posting privaleges to this area.

Benjamin Whytcross
BWhytcro@PacificAccess.com.au
Ph: (03) 9856 5282
Directory Technology Pty Ltd
1/436 Elgar Road,
Box Hill, 3128

Growing older is compulsory..Growing up isn't :-)