 Administrative / General / 6118
Re: Regarding bulk orders: a proposal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 15:12:21 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
Now that I think about it, a newsgroup specifically for this would at least
allow people to broach the subject--do any of the existing ngs really allow
for this?  Would it be b-s-t, or should there perhaps be a
.market.lego-direct (or somesuch)?

Here are a couple of earlier threads on that subject, with related ideas about
(sub)groups which might help LEGO Direct in their plans:

   http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=3827&t=i&v=a
   http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=5029&t=i&v=a

LEGO Direct has not yet made any effort to meet with us in person and talk
about business plans, so it's difficult to know at this point what would
actually help them and what would simply be additional noise to them.  It was
clear from a brief phone conversation about a week ago, however, that dedicated
groups for LEGO Direct and for LEGO anouncements would indeed be helpful on
both sides and, since we wanted to halt the decline of the .dear-lego group,
which was never intended for in-depth discussions, we saw the creation of a
.lego.* ng-tree as a short-term as well as long-term remedy.

I normally abhor splintering newsgroups, but this is one case that might be
warranted even to me--there would certainly be plenty of traffic.  In any
case, maybe Todd could let us know which newsgroup such negotiations/offers/
canvasses should be confined to before the service goes "live"?

lugnet.lego.direct would be the best place, assuming that Brad is actually
looking for concrete input at this point.  (I'm not sure that he's said that
he is yet -- certainly not high volumes of it.)

At this point -- it seems to me that more general (i.e., less-specific) advice,
opinions, and questions would be most helpful to Brad, for example:

   http://www.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=11
   http://www.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=25
   http://www.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=27

I'd expect there to be some sort of automated request system on their website
when they actually plan to consider requests.  (The lack of it seems pacific
to me.)

BTW, people are doing a great job rating messages in the .lego.direct group --
collectively marking the noise (i.e., things likely not to be any use to Brad)
with lower ratings and marking helpful advice/comments with higher ratings.

--Todd