 Administrative / General / 601
Re: Problem with Web LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 05:54:13 GMT

"Barry McFarland" <bmcfarl1@mail.arco.com> writes:

It's not a big problem but with the local newsgroups page the bookmarks
don't work but instead go straight back to the Main News Introduction Page

What bookmarks would those be?  Can you describe the problem in more detail?

1.  What are some sample URLs exhibiting the problem?
2.  What web browser are you using?
3.  What OS are you running?
4.  Did this just start happening or has this always happened since you
    started using?

I noticed this too.

1. All of the "hot text" which makes up paragraph 2 of the local newsgroups,
   group page.
2. Netscape 4.07
3. win '98
4. noticed it a couple of days ago, origninaly worked as intended (click on
   country and drop to that section of the page).  Now it points back to news
   page.??

Aha! -- I see now.  Thanks.  OK, whew, I thought this might be a browser bug
with it not handling <BASE HREF=...> correctly.  Fortunately, it's my own
boneheaded mistake and therefore easily fixable.

About 5 days ago I realized that the HTML on the /news/groups/loc/ page
could be condensed by using <BASE HREF=...> to eliminiate tons of repeated
stuff in the zillions of URL links there.  This was my first wrestling match
with <BASE HREF=...> and my brain was out to lunch when I missed regression-
testing the local-anchor links at the top.  I only regression-tested the
group links that made up the majority of the page.

BTW, there's something amiss with <BASE HREF=..."> in Netscape.  If I set

   <BASE HREF="http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?">

and use <A HREF="lugnet.loc.foo.foo.foo">, that doesn't work.  :-(
Intuitively, it ought to, but Netscape messes up the URL.  OTOH, maybe it's
not supposed to work that fancily in the first place.  Anyway, I had to set

   <BASE HREF="http://www.lugnet.com/news/">

and use <A HREF="display.cgi?lugnet.loc.foo.foo.foo">, which really isn't
much better than <A HREF="/news/display.cgi?lugnet.loc.foo.foo.foo">
without the <BASE HREF=...> as it only saves 3600 bytes over the original.

Later, when the display.cgi script is moved down into its own directly (with
transparent forwarding, of course) then setting something like

   <BASE HREF="http://www.lugnet.com/news/view/">

will help save 10200 bytes over the original.

Thanks for reporting/clarifying the problem, and I apologize for not
catching it myself before cutting it in...

--Todd