 Administrative / General / 5463
Re: Error with searching lugnet.off-topic.test?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 02:11:42 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, David Eaton writes:
Not that it really gets used much, but I just had some odd experiences doing
searches from the web interface for lugnet.off-topic.test... I entered my
name to search for it, and no posts were found (despite the fact that I HAVE
posted to off-topic.test)!

Could this have something to do perhaps with the fact that I 'screen out'
messages from lugnet.off-topic.test thanks to the little screening cookie?
Anyway, an oddity :)

Messages to .off-topic.test are ignored by the indexer.  (All other groups are
indexed as normal.)  Low-level DAT content (the scores and scores of numbers
are also ignored, although the non-number parts do get indexed.)

The web interface to the newsgroups doesn't know this, so it displays a search
box.  (I'd call that an interface bug.  :)

--Todd

Yup.  And since Todd did not mention this explicitly, this has always been the
case.  Impossible to search .off-topic.test from the web interface--from the
homepage, the off-topic page, or from the off-topic.test page.
Newsreaders, however, can perform the searches you want very easily.

__Kevin Salm__