 Administrative / General / 5343
Re: Why MSIE sucks for the HTML writer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2000 19:33:48 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Mike Stanley writes:
Today:

MSIE2 -  118 -  4.1%
MSIE3 -   62 -  2.2%
MSIE4 -  831 - 29.1%
MSIE5 - 1848 - 64.6%

Almost 200 people running old MSIE.

Just a followup question - do those numbers reflect unique IP
addresses?  Not really a perfect way to determine if they're really
unique people since most people get a different IP each time they
connect with their dial-up provider, but I guess it may be the easiest
way to guestimate.

Good question.  Over a short period of time (such as a day) I think the proxy
servers at big places like AOL end up drawfing the "dialup double-ups."  But
that's just a hunch.  BTW, in the past 2 weeks, one single IP address (of the
zillions that AOL has attached to HTTP proxies) reported 36 different browser
strings!

Wondering what the numbers are for Netscape-branded browsers, or
Opera, Be's thing, Lynx, etc...

I forget what the numbers were for yesterday but they were very sad.

--Todd