 Administrative / General / 5308
Re: Search button
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 23:54:22 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Scott Smallbeck writes:
Ouch!  That button is uh-glee.

The image idea is better but I am trying to remember if that is supported in
IE3 (Seem to remember having to modify a client's intranet application that
was running IE3 and had images as buttons).

The TYPE=IMAGE attribute of <INPUT> seems to go at least as far back as HTML
3.2...but even if all browsers supported it, are they smart enough to scale
it up larger if someone is running with larger fonts?  Many people have
gigantic screens or have poor vision and they don't benefit from itty bitty
buttons.

In NN4, BTW, the <FONT SIZE="-2"> tag surrounding the <INPUT TYPE=SUBMIT>
button actually shrinks it down to a reasonable size, but it's still up-
scalable if your base font size is larger than the default, which is a very
nice benefit of using browser-native instead of custom-image buttons.

Is support past IE4 required?

Past meaning before or after?

Ya, it has to work correctly on all versions of MSIE and NN that have been
released since mid-1995, everything from NN 2.0 and up, to MSIE 2.0 and up,
Lynx, Opera, Mozilla, etc....  It doesn't necessarily have to perform
optimally on all browsers, but it has to at least be correct.  (Branching
on the browser type -- on either the client side or the server side -- is
a can of worms best avoided if possible, IMHO.)

--Todd