 Administrative / General / 5298
Re: Why MSIE sucks for the HTML writer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 22:11:33 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote in message ...
In lugnet.admin.general, Mike Stanley writes:
Ok.  Do you have a form running now that demonstrates this inability in • IE on
LUGNET?

I called it "bug" because IMHO it is a User Interface bug.  But yeah, more
objectively, it is simply an "inability."

Okie dokie, here ya go, here's a page with two forms...  Type text in the
boxes and hit Enter.  If nothing happens when you hit Enter, it's a bug.

  http://www.lugnet.com/temp/form/msieieio.html

Works fine in MSIE 4 (specifically 4.72.3110.8).

<- snipped a bunch of incompatibilities ->

Have you worked with a more recent version of MSIE than version 3? What
might be interesting is to put up a test page with some of those other
problems and see how many of them have been fixed.

Putting on blinders to a strong competing product seems to be a poor
strategy, at least for something which is trying to be a widely used
resource. At IBM we're finally seeing the end of the mess IBM got into by
ignoring TCP/IP in favor of SNA. IBM has exited the router buisiness, a
buisiness they once owned (back before the Internet when the majority of
networking, at least at a buisiness level, was SNA). There are many other
examples (Microchanel, OS/2, Wordperfect [for a non-IBM example] to name a
few more).

You're certainly entitled to your opinion about browsers, and I would • hardly
argue that both major browsers have major issues, but sometimes it almost
seems like you go out of your way to label one as crap while few but • Netscape
employees would say different about its product.  :)

Nah, I'm well aware that NN has quite a few problems also.  What steams me
is that MS made MSIE 99% but not 100% compatible with NN.  "Embrace, • extend,
exterminate."  Chairman Bill is only missing a monacle and a white cat.
;-)

Well, Netscape has sure had it's share of "we'll do it differently" also.

Frank