 Administrative / General / 5212
Re: Cleaning up the main homepage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 22:55:50 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Todd Lehman wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Steve Bliss writes:
p.s.  http://www.lugnet.com/news/filter  to set the string.

Hmm.  Didn't take.  Guess it's a member-only thing.  I should go fill
out that monster form.  Someday.

Hmm, no, it's not a member-only thing.  All it does is sets a cookie.
Perchance have you disabled cookies in your browser?

When I try to put through a filter of:

+lugnet

nothing takes -- the updated filter page shows that my current settings
are the default settings:

-.off-topic -.admin

But when I put in:

-.xxx +lugnet

the filter is set correctly.  Is there something requiring an exclusion
to be sent first?  Nope, if I do:

+.xxx +lugnet

the filter updates correctly.  So I put in:

-lugnet

and the filter took it.  But when I go back to:

+lugnet

the filter goes back to default:

-.off-topic -.admin

Weird.

Hmm, thanks for the data.  I can only think of one thing that's consistent
with that data.

I have a hypothesis:  Your web browser has a bug, and it is tossing (ignoring)
empty-string cookies rather than storing and reporting back the empty string.

When you enter the string "+lugnet", this is a special case which gets
converted to the empty string "" because "+lugnet" is identical in function
to the empty string "".  Recall that the filter string lists groups to be
filtered _out_, so it doesn't make sense to put only a "+" argument with no
"-" argument.  (It doesn't hurt, but it's a waste of cookie space and
TCP/IP bandwidth, since cookies are transmitted on every mouseclick.)

Anyway, so when you enter "+lugnet", the cookie sent back to your browser
is the optimized form "" instead of "+lugnet".  Your web browser is most
likely tossing away the cookie, which causes the default of "-.off-topic.
-.admin." to recur, because the server hasn't received see your cookie.

What's supposed to happen (and this works fine in NN/Linux) is that the empty
filter "" shows up as "(none)" in italics when it says what your filter is
currently set to.

By chance are you using MSIE?  I've seen one other nasty cookie bug in MSIE
for the Mac -- it pre-decodes %xx-encoded cookie data before transmitting it!
:-E

Let's try this...instead of sending the empty string "", I'll tell the server
to send the cookie "+"[1] whenever it really wants to send the empty string.
Then whenever it gets back the "+" cookie, it'll convert this back to "" at
the lowest level (all transparent to the UI, etc.)

--Todd

[1] The "+" will get %xx-encoded in transit...so if you're monitoring what
gets sent, look for "NEWSGROUPFILTER=%2B" (ASCII 43).