 Administrative / General / 5094
5093  |  5095
Subject:
Encouraging Participation (Was: Re: Cleaning up the main homepage)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 01:49:35 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Buiting writes:

I have been reading all the messages in this group since I started to browse
LUGNET (since october '99) Yet I haven't really contributed in the
discussions. My main reason is that I feel like a newbie between you people
and every time I start writing a mail the "don't be a wiseguy"-feeling comes
up.

This is A Bad Thing (tm) - everyone should be made aware of how important their
opinions and thoughts are..

The admin group 'feels' like the board for experienced LUGNETters  to me, so
who am I to mind LUGNET admin business. Note that this is my feeling, but
probably more people feel like that.

Pffffh.. I'm pretty inexperienced! Yep - I think you're right that it does have
a bit of a different aura to it, I guess I never percieved it as one unfriendly
to my random thoughts and suggestions though.

So Todd, Scott and others, just by mentioning that the views of all people
who care count, caused me to participate in these discussions. So there, I
hope you're happy about it ;-)

I am :) Also for the reason that you've convinced me that a good way to
encourage more participation is by making it clear that all opinions are
welcome. I've come up with this prototype:
<http://www.lugnet.com/playground/?p=richard-test2>

The design needs reworking - but hopefully the concept is a bit more clearer
than in <http://www.lugnet.com/people/?n=390>. The other benefit of this is
that it promtes visible feedback - which after all is (IMO) the best way to
encourage people to participate.

Richard