 Administrative / General / 509
Re: another fun thing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 25 Oct 1998 04:18:29 GMT

Perhaps a Princess... <sarah@eskimo.com> wrote
On Sat, 10 Oct 1998 16:29:35 GMT, mattdm@mattdm.org (Matthew Miller)
What about counting number of posts per individual, and posting stats like
http://www.lugnet.com/news/traffic/, but instead of listing groups, list
posters? that'd be neet.

OTOH, if it encouraged substantive posts. That would be cool!

Having been around BBS's that had this, it very rarely (if ever)
encourages substantive postings. People who would post real material
tend to be aware of the stats, but generally are more motivated to stay
out of them than in them. So it may in fact have the opposite effect -
Larry may feel inclined to hold off replying to a thread until next week
so as not to provoke another 20 waste posts from "IPostTheMost@aol.com".

And we've already seen the rational response to the chance to have the
first message in a newsgroup, haven't we? That does nothing to convince
me that no-one would bother posting junk just to get into the stats.

Moz