 Administrative / General / 5076
Re: Cleaning up the main homepage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 22:11:07 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Scott Arthur writes:

"Todd Lehman" <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.admin.general, Scott Arthur writes:
Thus, to lessen the noise levels on the root homepage, the server now
"hides" messages appearing in the following parts of the newsgroup • tree:

  lugnet.admin.*
  lugnet.market.auction
  lugnet.market.jambalaya
  lugnet.off-topic.*

I'd argue that the problem with the admin groups is that there is too • little
participation on the discussions there by the general LUGNet masses.

That's certainly not a problem at all.  The admin groups exist at all • because
it's better to have things out in the open for people who care,

The problem is, in my opinion, not enough people care.
<snippped>

If the contents of the posts in these groups is "ugly", perhaps better
phraseology is required -

Suggestions?

Self Restraint

not bowdlerization.

All things being equal, bowdlerization of content is undesirable, but • please
understand that it's the lesser of two evils.  Most people have lives • outside
of the hobby, and couldn't care less to see all the non-LEGO noise.

The fact that a user uses LUGNet possibly means that they get benefit from
it. .admin debates can result in change, or result from it, so it is
important that a wide range of view are represented. Anything which reduces
that range of views is a bad thing - in my opinion.

In fact,
when the noise levels reach problematic proportions, it begins to attract • and
retain a different type of person (the hard-head or die-hard as opposed to • the
casual user or someone into the hobby for pure reasons).

I'd like it best if people could personalise and exchange their own • automatic
bowdlerizers, and am working toward this.

I suggested self bowdlerisation earlier this week, and was shouted down.

Scott A

Scott,

Give it up! I've been watching this thread for some time and frankly I'm glad
Todd added the Auction and Admin filter to the main page. Your incessant
whining and pestering is getting very hard to tolerate and I'm glad to have to
actively search it out rather than be confronted with it at every page refresh.
How many times and how many ways do you have to be told "NO"?

I can only speak for myself and no one else, but I *do not* want Auction
announcements in any of the groups that I regularly cruise. I read them to see
what is going on in that theme as far as building ideas and news goes. If I
want to see what the latest auctions are doing, I go to that group. I see no
reason allow posting of austion announcements in those groups other than to
actively flog of ones auction. Why would I want to have my regularly scheduled
LUGNET reading interrupted to bring me this "important announcement from XYZ's
LEGO Auction"? If I had the opportunity, I'd make it so that my regular network
TV shows were commercial free too.

It usually takes quite a bit to rile me up, and frankly you've gotten me there.
Keep your auction announcements in the proper group and they'll be read. Spread
them around to the other groups and I'm gone.

Sincerely,

-Duane
"A Compartmentalized Dork"