 Administrative / General / 5063
Re: Cleaning up the main homepage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 20:04:10 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
If the .off-topic.* and .admin.* messages are unpalatable for "commoners",
then perhaps they shouldn't've have been invited here.

Everyone is welcome.  And BTW, it was a long-time regular who said he'd had it.

I rather enjoyed
participating in many debates here; I feel that it has invigorated me and
helped me form a more rounded viewpoint.  I certainly wouldn't have done it on
your server had I known that, ultimately, it would be unpleasant enough to
force people away.

I think it's great too, and I would hate to see people feel less comfortable
having discussions like that.  But since this place is primarily for LEGO
stuff, the non-LEGO stuff can really get tiring at times, even to regulars.
The off-topic noise is probably best for most people in big or small doses at
their discretion, or not at all, also at their discretion, but not for it to
be shoved down their throat, which is what it was.

The real solution for this is to allow LUGNET power users to customize what
they see, and have a default view for the non-power-users.

Yah mon!!

I'm definitely not happy with the current solution.  I have been following
the thread and was going to give my input, but this turnaround happened too
dang fast.  If there's that quick of a reaction for a newbie, what is there
in store for us members?

It didn't actually happen fast.  Actually, it took more than a year to arrive
at this solution.  It had been suggested several times before...needed to
synergize, I suppose.

(Note:  I'm not particulraly happy with it either, and it is a stopgap until
something better can be devised.)

Anyhow, it is definitely a "bummer" for me to need to use extra clicks with
the Web interface; the only reason I use it is to *reduce* the amount of
clicks.  I know what I want (channels and user-customizable views), and it's
what I've been waiting for to pay my full promised amount to LUGNET.  I'm
really hoping Todd gets the changes in (actually I know he will), not only
for my whims but also because it's the best solution for LUGNET.

Hmm.  How about if there was a switch you could set (via a cooke or something)
which would let you disable the .admin & .off-topic filters and reenable the
full set of the articles?

--Todd