 Administrative / General / 5036
Re: Cleaning up the main homepage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 14:17:39 GMT

Replying to several messages at once...

In lugnet.admin.general, Scott A wrote:

I’d argue that the problem with the admin groups is that there is too little
participation on the discussions there by the general LUGNet masses.

So you want *more* people to post on admin issues?  Seems like that
would increase the noise, not improve the situation.

Debates
tend to be dominated, normally, by the “usual suspects”.

I'd say "pot, kettle, black" but I'm about as guilty as the next guy...

... If the
contents of the posts in these groups is “ugly”, perhaps better phraseology is
required – not bowdlerization.

There's a possibility, but I doubt it.  LUGNET, even at its ugliest, is
a very civilized place.  Even if posts aren't offensive, they can still
be 'polite noise'.

In lugnet.admin.general, Manfred Moolhuysen writes:

I have a similar problem: It is rather difficult to find the messages from
Brad Justus between the very many reactions. Would it be feasable to copy his
VIM's (Very Importand Messages) to a special area ?

Then, in lugnet.admin.general, Scott A wrote:

He needs his own group. Every time he makes a pronouncement it cloggs the
system up for days.

That will happen with any event.  New sets being released (and examined,
and analyzed, etc...), new LUG's, new online projects, whatever.  It's
the nature of the beast.

Long-term, it seems like the 'most recent messages' on the main page may
need to be de-emphasized or replaced with something more
newbie-friendly, rather than just hiding some obvious noise-makers.

Some ideas:

- Move the spotlight to the main-page, replacing the most-recent
messages.
- Reduce the space devoted to the recent messages.
- Display threads-headings instead of compact messages, so that large
threads will receive less attention in the listing.

In lugnet.admin.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

I think moving off-topic and admin was the right thing to do (can you
have an alternate version of the main page, not the default, that has
them as well, or is that too much code)
plus ditto

However I question moving market.auction if market.bst wasn't moved, and
I question moving .jambalaya as that one is all about fun and community,
or is supposed to. I just don't think that the anti auction bias ought
to show through that clearly.
plus ditto

I support not having misplaced posts but that doesn't mean I see
.auction as a second class citizen. (although admin, as a governmental
function, IS. government MUST stay in its proper subservient place or
it's too big)
plus ditto

Steve