 Administrative / General / 4976
Re: It's time to get rid of my Technic Collection
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 03:55:50 GMT

In lugnet.admin.council, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.admin.council, Richard Franks writes:
[...]
If I was a regular buyer of a certain theme then I wouldn't want to check >1
group, when one group would do (via the web-interface). Does NTTP and
news-by-mail collapse the tree like the web-interface?

I'm not aware of any NNTP newsreaders which collapse/coalesce groups in a tree
for composite reading, but one distant possibility is handling this on the
server by creating a special 'virtual' hierarchy of groups to parallel the
'real' groups, for example:

  _lugnet.loc.uk = lugnet.loc.uk + lugnet.loc.uk.*
  _lugnet.robotics = lugnet.robotics + lugnet.robotics.*

Ah yep - that's what I meant to ask, I meant server side but I wasn't terribly
clear :)

The $64,000 question (and I haven't tried this in many newsreaders yet) is
whether most newsreaders are flexible enough not to double-check the newsgroup
name (at the client end) when posting followups.  In other words, if you're
reading _lugnet.robotics (the virtual mega-group), and you post a message to
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos while you're in that virtual mega-group, your
newsreader has to be able to pass that along without balking at you for trying
bottom line is that this scenario is really a client issue and not a server
issue (but that's good news).

In theory - would it be possible for users(1) to go to a web-page and select a
hierarchy (eg lugnet.castle), and the sub-groups that they wanted to appear
within that group (eg .lugnet.castle.castleworld, lugnet.castle.market), and
have the server send them the contents of all three groups when the client
requests lugnet.castle?

(Any market group would be 'off' by default, for both the web and NNTP.)

The defaults may look something like:
-=-=-
Options for: lugnet.castle

View subgroups: [Web] [NNTP] [Mail]
lugnet.castle.castleworld x o o
lugnet.castle.market o o o
-=-=-

It'll probably format horridly, but hopefully not so much that it's hard to
figure out what I'm rambling about :)

This might:
1) Mean that meta-groups, and the resulting user confusion isn't necessary
2) Those who wanted to see market posts in theme groups could if they
*selected* the option to, and the rest of us would be protected from them by
default.

Richard

1 - Might be too complex to add this feature for users, but as it would be
valuable extra functionality, making it another benefit of being a member
wouldn't be a terrible thing.