 Administrative / General / 4885
4884  |  4886
Subject:
LUGNET Terms of Use clarification
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.announce
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 11:38:09 GMT

The LUGNET Terms of Use document,

   http://www.lugnet.com/admin/terms/

has changed slightly and is now a little bit clearer regarding the posting of
auctions.  This is not a change in site policy but a clarification of existing
site policy.  (You do not need to re-accept new terms.)

Point #11 of the Discussion Group Terms and Conditions has faced ever-
increasing confusion and challenges since its inception.  In particular,
the wording of "discussion groups which do not welcome" is potentially
ambiguous.  It was never the intention for the welcoming to occur by any
means other than newsgroup charters.  (In other words, the participants in
a given newsgroup cannot just get together all of a sudden and decide that
auction spam is welcome in that newsgroup.)

Version 1.0 (27 Sep 1999) went like this:

   It is a condition of your use of the discussion groups that you do not:
   [...]
   11. Post auction announcements, updates, or listings in discussion groups
       which do not explicitly welcome their presence.

The clarification in the new Version 1.0.1 (7 Mar 2000) goes like this:

   It is a condition of your use of the discussion groups that you do not:
   [...]
   11. Post auction announcements, updates, or listings ("auction spam")
       in discussion groups which do not explicitly welcome their presence.
       If you are unsure whether auction spam is appropriate in a given
       discussion group, check the group's descriptive charter.  If the
       discussion group's charter does not explicitly say that auction
       postings are allowed in the group, then such posts are not welcome.
       Currently, the only LUGNET discussion group which allows auction spam
       is lugnet.market.auction, which was established specifically for that
       purpose.

In addition to the clarification added to point #11, the parenthetical text
"(do not)" has been prepended to each point #1 through #13 of the Discussion
Group Terms and Conditions, as a reminder that the list is a list of things
-not- to do, rather than a list of things -to- do.

Finally, it is difficult to define what exactly constitutes an auction
announcement, or even what constitutes an auction, but we will try our best
to do so.  A future version 1.0.2 of the Terms of Use, hopefully later this
month, will attempt to clarify point #11 further, through examples, counter-
examples, and additional background.  This will likely be a "readers guide to
the Terms of Use" approach -- external to (but linked from) the Terms of Use
document.  Discussion threads in lugnet.market.theory and lugnet.admin.council
are identifying and shaking out bugs.

--Todd