 Administrative / General / 4439
Re: Pre Auction Anouncment/Sale/Trade - Parts & Sets (8448 / 7171 / Pirates)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 20:41:22 GMT

Anders Isaksson wrote in message ...
Frank Filz skrev i meddelandet ...

I'd be curious as to how many people really never ever ever want to see an
auction announcement.

Probably more than you can imagine! The world is large, and there are all
kinds of people. I'd guess that a majority of the readers are *not* here to
get auction information, and a fair amount of us are actually disturbed by • it.

I, for example, still live in the 'connect by time-rate phone' part of the
world, and just connect, download the groups I want to read, disconnect, • and
read off-line. Each post that is uninteresting to me, is money thrown down • the
drain (and all auction/sale/trade posts are in that category for *me*) - • news
reader filtering doesn't help for that - the Lugnet way of splitting up
interests in different groups does!

People can be *very* interested in Lego, without having a compulsory habit • to
buy or sell. My own collection is one (1) set - the 8880 Super Car (OK, my
kids have a fair amount too, but that's *their* Lego), and I feel no great
urge to get more (or sell what I have).

This is certainly a valid issue, and definitely compartmentalized dorkdom is
very much a part of the solution, though there needs to be a balance between
so much division that those with broad interests can't keep track of things
(I actually have problems keeping track of everything, and have taken to
occasionally browsing the collection of ALL posts shown on the Lugnet home
page). It is this over sub-dividing which suggests that targeted market
posts to theme groups do have a place (and if the frequency gets to more
than 5-10% of the traffic, a new group is probably appropriate).

My question though was more trying to get a feel for how many people might
be lost because one auction posting a month finds it's way into
lugnet.general (the last couple days rash is not what I'm talking about here
though), versus how many people might be lost because they goof up every
once in a while (yea, I know, this is the 4th time for Scott, but it has
been months, and this goof was really a poor wording, not poor intent), and
we come down too hard.

A fine balance needs to be struck.

Frank