 Administrative / General / 4389
Re: Pre Auction Anouncment/Sale/Trade - Parts & Sets (8448 / 7171 / Pirates)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 23:37:11 GMT

Scott-A wrote in message ...
Some of these are close to the line, others cross it:
http://www.lugnet.com/market/buy-sell-trade/?n=4246 (one of my ones)

Hmm, wording on that one is actually a little clearer.

http://www.lugnet.com/market/auction/?n=4396

That's a make an offer, and I'll let you know type of deal.

http://www.lugnet.com/starwars/?n=6015

That's purely an offer to sell, and not being an auction posting is ok in
the theme group.

http://www.lugnet.com/market/buy-sell-trade/?n=4606

That one is definitely an auction posting, and the seller seems aware that
it really isn't in the right group, looks like he had trouble posting to
lugnet.market.auction.

http://www.lugnet.com/market/buy-sell-trade/?n=4586

That's a one time, best offer over $30. Todd has repeatedly said this type
of offer is acceptable in buy-sell-trade (I call this a sealed bid auction,
Todd doesn't call it an auction, in either case, it is different from an
auction where updates will be posted, or a pointer to an eBay or whatever
auction)

http://www.lugnet.com/market/buy-sell-trade/?n=4580

This is an offer to trade. Just pointing out that his recent list of sets he
is auctioning is available for trade.

http://www.lugnet.com/market/buy-sell-trade/?n=4554

This is a request for possible prices. This is a little murky, but doesn't
seem to be an auction.

http://www.lugnet.com/market/buy-sell-trade/?n=4478

This is an offer to trade, with a hint that they might be auctioned in the
future.

http://www.lugnet.com/market/buy-sell-trade/?n=4412

Another make an offer type of deal. This is a sealed bid auction with a
slushy reserve.

So I see one auction. Todd can't police every single situation. This also is
from a newbie, so Todd may have warned him in private. I do see a few sloppy
postings.

I would like to see Todd make the rules a little more clear about the
"sealed bid auctions" and buy/sell/trade posts in the theme groups. If you
read the history in lugnet.admin.general, it is clear what the rules are,
but if you just read the TOS, it is not clear (since many people do consider
sealed bid auctions to be auctions, and the TOS is a bit suggestive that
buy/sell/trade offers are not welcome in the theme groups [but a careful
reading of the TOS shows that it is only auction posts which are
restricted]).

The only change to the rules I would like to see is to allow auction
postings in lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands so long as the readers of that
group are comfortable with the auction traffic.

Just my thoughts as usual.

Frank