 Administrative / General / 4160
Re: Ebay auction advice
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 19:46:24 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:
Oh, I guess I should ask this outright: I have a link to the Pause page
of a set, such as

http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=6544

Is this a no-no on a E-bay, or not. If it is, I will pull it off.

That's absolutely, positively, 100% OK.  :)

I never linked directly to a picture, though, and I do have a disclaimer
that reads this:

This set link is made possible by LUGNET.com, Pause.com, and the
administrator, Todd Lehman. Please do not link directly to the picture.

Actually, I'd prefer it most if you -didn't- acknowledge the source (or at
the very most saying something very short and simple such as "Set image
courtesy of LUGNET").  Acknowledgements like that just make the source seem
less "always available" and more "special" or "incidental."  It's best IMHO
if people simply take the resource for granted rather than acknowledging it.

Also, once someone clicks on the link, the page that comes up takes care of
identifying itself in the URL box and the color band across the top including
the logo and the "Home" link.  And it's unnecessary to ask people not to link
directly to the picture because the server prevents this anyway.

So just a link to the page with no other acknowledgment is sufficient.

Here is a link to a auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=235044722

I definitely try not to do anything wrong, so if I am, I apologize, and
will never do it again.

You're OK!  :)  You could make the text simpler and quicker for people to read,
though, if you deleted the two sentences below the link (the ones you quoted
above) and made the link text something like "6544 in the LUGNET Set Database"
or "6544 at LUGNET" or something along those lines.

--Todd