 Administrative / General / 3677
Re: S&H Technic Sale via MindStorms e-mailing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 11:48:40 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jeff Thompson writes:
They don't say they can't be, either.

Of course, it's still bad netiquette to post email without permission, even
from a company, IMHO.  I suppose you could paraphrase it.

I'm not being facetious.  The point of unsolicited (or barely solicited)
email advertisements (spam) is to drum up business.  You're only doing
them a favor by passing them along.   [...]

Not necessarily.  In this case, the advertisement seemed to be intended for
a wide audience, but in the case of specially targeted advertisements (part
of this whole new "one-to-one marketing" revolution), customers who have
been identified as price-sensitive are sometimes given breaks where others
are not.  (This has nothing to do with TLC in particular and I don't know if
TLC does it or not, but it's a basic marketing and sales technique.  You
price something at some point and then price give breaks when and if you
have to in order to make more sales.  But you don't want price breaks going
to people who aren't price-sensitive.  Another form of this philosophy is
slight product variations, for example a $200 inkjet printer that prints
6 ppm, and the deluxe $300 version that prints 8 ppm.  The only difference
inside is a timing chip that says how fast to turn the motors, but you can
sell the same product to two different types of customers at different
prices.)

--Todd