 Administrative / General / 365
Re: List of articles taking longer to render
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 16:10:01 GMT

Todd Lehman writes:
snip

It's pretty fast to assemble components and new dynamic web pages this way,
and lots of fun too.

Larry, would it be useful to you if a the big list were chopped into smaller
lists -- displaying, say, a couple dozen articles on each page, with
forward/backward between the pages -- ?

--Todd

Todd,

In looking at the source for the page I see that the article list is one big
table.  In my experience a browser will not display any rows of a table until
it has received all rows and the end table tag.  I built a web site that
generated pages like this and I had to go back and break the table into
smaller tables.  I used 10 rows at a time.  then as each chunk was received it
would display.  It adds some size to the page and still takes as long if not
longer to completely download but the response time seems faster to the user.
I think this could be useful whether or not you offer filtering or smaller
size pages.

Chris Barnes