 Administrative / General / 3557
Re: Cats and pigeons...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 05:34:16 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote in message ...
In lugnet.general, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.general, Eric Joslin writes:
- Pointers to websites that have images of sets before their release
(ie, TheForce.net, TheOuterRim.com, etc)?

I personally don't see any problem with this, depending on how the
pointers are worded.  Simply reporting upon the existence of something
somewhere else, no matter how illegal (including posting URLs of
information contained on other publicly accessible servers, for purposes
of discussion) can hardly be construed as infringing on anyone's rights.
Then again, I am not a lawyer, so don't take this as legal advice.  I'm
sure it's an extremely gray area.
[...]

Well, wouldn't ya know it -- it gets greyer and greyer.  Just found a link
to this...

http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/99/12/cyber/cyberlaw/10law.html

Interesting. On the surface, the decision seems reasonable. The question is
can the court distinguish between a link which is clearly for the purpose of
encouraging people to use a web site which contains copyright infringing
material, which the case this court decision is dealing with, pretty clearly
fits, and a situation like one of the examples given in the article about
the possibility a case study giving a reference to an infringing site (which
seems like a reasonable thing on the surface).

I would be surprised if the court system upheld much in the way of damages
for doing something like this, though in this specific instance, the people
publishing the link have shown a continued disregard for the particular
copyrighted material. Injunctions and court orders to remove the offending
links seem reasonable on the surface.

Frank