 Administrative / General / 3345
Re: Giving bad trader info (Re: Bad Trader Alert!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 15:59:43 GMT

In lugnet.general, Joseph Gonzalez writes:
In lugnet.general, David Eaton writes:
Umm... just a suggestion-- it's probably not a good idea to post addresses
and phone numbers to Lugnet unless they're your own, although I don't think
I'd be so adverse to posting the email address... But thank you for the
trader warning!

Hi people
This is the second time I've seen the suggestion to not post addresses or
phone numbers and I'm curious.  Why is it not a good idea?  Is it a matter of
possibly being sued somehow?
If it's just a matter of not being nice, why would you care about being nice
to a bad/rip-off trader?  I'd be tempted to do the same thing that David
Simmons is doing if someone took my money (or set) and ran.  Please enlighten
me.

Thanks.

..joseph g

Hmm... I guess I just don't see it as a generally good practice. I'm actually
not sure if there are any specific laws against it, but I also wouldn't be
suprised to find out that there are-- after all, there are laws governing
businesses that "hand out" peoples names and addresses, but these usually deal
with the people having to explicitly state their objection prior to giving out
their address themselves.

And gernally, I'd rather set a good example. Even if someone has been mean to
me, I think I'd still like to act civilly to them (But I certainly won't be
kind to them... just civil). I guess the other reason is that in the case of
real, honest to goodness mistakes (suppose he DID send it, but the postal
service screwed up-- sent it to the wrong address, lost it, etc.) I think if
that ever IS the case (or turns out to be so) that giving out information like
this is rather irrepairable-- once the info is out there, you can't take it
back. You can always "take back" a bad report, but you can't really take back
the information...

But in terms of the LUGNET rules:
"DISCUSSION GROUP TERMS AND CONDITIONS
...[snip]...
It is a condition of your use of the discussion groups that you do not:
...[snip]...
6. Post or transmit any information, software, or other material which violates
or infringes upon the rights of others, including material which is an invasion
of privacy or publicity rights or which is protected by copyright, trademark,
or other proprietary right, or derivative works with respect thereto, without
first obtaining permission from the owner or right holder.
..."

Does it actually violate the rule? Well... hmm... I guess it's not really
explicitly stated, but I think I'd take it to be implied... Todd?

Anyway, that's my reasoning...
DaveE