 Administrative / General / 3286
Re: Crosspost Spamming (Was: Re: Blue Hopper Car Mania...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 00:23:47 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Mike Stanley writes:

I'd like to say I'll promise each and every time I respond to
something to make sure that some random group isn't in the
followups, but the reality is I won't, nor will anyone else.

So will I look at messages, especially in this thread, and try to
not send them out to the wrong groups (or more correctly, respond to
a message that is already in several groups, some of them wrong)?
Sure I will.  Will I make it my mission in life to doublecheck every
single message I respond to in order to make sure it goes to the
right place?  No, and I shouldn't have to - that's what the
reader and/or server software is for.

Yep - the point of bringing the issue up was not to point fingers or say "This
person is to blame, aren't they naughty", but rather to see if there is a way
that the problem can be tackled - either by increasing peoples awareness of it,
or making changes to the web-interface!

Richard