 Administrative / General / 3278
Re: Crosspost Spamming (Was: Re: Blue Hopper Car Mania...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 09:26:19 GMT

Richard Franks wrote:

Disclaimer: These views are my own and not necessarily those of market.shopping
or loc.uk, they are also not directed towards any individuals - the message I'm
responding to is just the latest!

It is just a *teansy* bit irratating that there have been two requests from
loc.uk to remove that group from the thread:
http://www.lugnet.com/loc/uk/?n=1789
http://www.lugnet.com/loc/uk/?n=1774

Although some people have thankfully removed the irrelevant groups - roughly
30-40% are still coming through.

Is part of the problem that sub threads of the thread split off, and
while you can set follow-ups to these threads in particular, you can't
globally move a thread over? (Hoping that made sense: wait a sec:)

x-x-x-x-x-> moved, not a problem any more

  x-x-x-x-x -> second post, this thread is now OK

   x-x-x-x ... this thread is *still* wrong despite earlier messages

hope that's clear (needs to be mono spaced really)

What would be nice (see my own caveats below) would be if at the point
that one thread was moved, you could to some extent try and make that
change propagate through other sub threads.

Problems I can see immediately include the fact that some sub threads
have already moved to other groups and you wouldn't want to change the
follow-ups on those, and that it's difficult to go back and change
headers on a posted message.

The suggestion (in a different sub thread, indeed) that the web
interface made cross posting more difficult / noticeable is perhaps a
more sensible suggestion, and definitely easier to implement.

Thinking aloud,

:: paul