 Administrative / General / 3276
Re: Crosspost Spamming (Was: Re: Blue Hopper Car Mania...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 18:36:23 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Will Middelaer writes:

A good point.  I did not realize that i had cross-posted until after posting,
since the newsgroups filled the small window on the web interface.

Yeah, I know - I've done it unintentionally myself :)
Oh, and as I said in my post - I wasn't picking you out specifically - your
post was just the sixth (and lasest) post to loc.uk on that thread!

Perhaps if there were an intermediate page that asked you to make sure you
wanted to post to all of the groups you designated, or provided a check list
so that you could remove some of the groups before the actual posting took
place.

It could be a question of where a thread *should* belong - it's fairly common
to post to many groups at the start of a thread, but are there many situations
where a thread should run concurrently in more than one group?

If not, then the checkbox idea wouldn't be so annoying as it might only happen
once per thread.

Or maybe bringing up the checkbox list once the thread has been cross-posted to
an off-topic group - I can't think of any many situations where an off-topic
post should be sent to a group that has a set charter. Or maybe that's just my
compartmentalised dorkishness showing through again ;)

Richard