 Administrative / General / 3097
Re: Your Local Lego Webmaster!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 20:00:56 GMT

Sproaticus <jsproat@io.com> wrote:
Third -- The majority of people here are engineers of some sort -- in other
words, very smart technical folks, for whom the label "professional" carries
no water.  I'm sure that most of us deal with "professional" people all the
time, and realize that the only requirement one needs to call oneself
"professional" is the fact that one has been paid.  I've worked with quite a
lot of severely drain-bamaged professionals, as well as some extremely bright
rookies, in my career.  Add this to the fact that your e-mail address is
through hotmail.com ... well, this only compounds the negative "professional"
image.

Yeah, someone throwing the term "professional" around to me,
especially in this day when anyone can become a "professional
webmaster" by buying Sierra's web-editor, doesn't really mean jack.
I know a half dozen college kids (and I believe Jon said he was
still in school) who crank out crappy websites for friends or family
acquantances.

And then there are plenty of "professional" web designers designing
sites for mom & pop shops that don't know what good work is.

Professional is a word.  And a job is just a job.  I know lots of
stupid NT admins and webmasters, and very few good ones.  Being paid
to do something doesn't mean you're good at it - your work proves
that.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?
http://www.guarded-inn.com/bricks/