 Administrative / General / 3096
Re: Your Local Lego Webmaster!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 17:34:09 GMT

Jon Bosman wrote:
I snapped because when I offered legitamit help [not
that you need it], everyone shut me up and didn't even consider what i was
offering. "Professional" or not, it's free! That really got to me.

Jon,

I hope I can point out what it was that pushed so many peoples' buttons.

First (and this is the biggie) -- your approach to us lacked, shall we say,
experienced interpersonal protocol.  While being a newbie is nothing bad in
and of itself, it certainly helps to be tactful when dealing with people.
Writing long, defensive messages after several people have disagreed with you
is rarely tactful.  Perhaps a better solution would have been to hunker down
for a while and watch some more.

Second -- Nothing in this universe is free, my friend.  There is always a
cost.  Even if you don't charge currency for your services, other costs
incurred would most certainly include time and effort for everyone involved.

Third -- The majority of people here are engineers of some sort -- in other
words, very smart technical folks, for whom the label "professional" carries
no water.  I'm sure that most of us deal with "professional" people all the
time, and realize that the only requirement one needs to call oneself
"professional" is the fact that one has been paid.  I've worked with quite a
lot of severely drain-bamaged professionals, as well as some extremely bright
rookies, in my career.  Add this to the fact that your e-mail address is
through hotmail.com ... well, this only compounds the negative "professional"
image.

Fourth -- The newsgroup lugnet.starwars is a forum for discussing LEGO bricks
and things to build with them, within the topic of Star Wars.  Not many people
like being criticized there for non-LEGO stuff.  Your message might have
actually been on-topic for the newsgroup lugnet.publish , though your
defensive attitude would have alienated people there, too.

You certainly have a lot of energy and enthusiasm.  You can impress a lot of
people if you direct it into your own work, rather than trying to build so
much off of the works of others.

Just my .02 rupees...

Cheers,
- jsproat

[way off-topic f-ups set to .admin.general]

It's not the same log.  It's not the same log.  It's not the same log.
  It's not the same log.  It's not the same log.  It's not the same log.
               It's the same log.  It's the same log.  It's the same log.