 Administrative / General / 2707
Re: Web interface search results
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 22:09:43 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, "Robert Munafo" <munafo@gcctechNO.SPAMcom> writes:

In lugnet.admin.general, Jeremy Sproat writes:
[...] I haven't been able to figure out how to use it; e.g., what is
the syntax to, say, modify the query to prefer articles from about four
months ago?

It appears that for now we just have the recent (default) target time and
1-week sigma values. If there is a syntax for overriding these, Todd hasn't
chosen to tell us about it. I would guess that it isn't yet ready for general
use.

A syntax vis-à-vis URLs isn't yet defined, but how does this sound?--

There's currently q= for the query string:

   http://www.lugnet.com/?q=jeremy+sproat

and qn= for subsequent pages of results:

   http://www.lugnet.com/?q=jeremy+sproat&qn=60

so there are still 25 possibilities in the q*= namespace.  How about qt= for
the target time and qs= for the sigma (provided that some other non-greek
mnemonic can be identified for 's'):

   http://www.lugnet.com/?q=jeremy+sproat&qt=-10519200&qs=2629800

4 months is about 10519200 seconds, and 1 month is about 2629800 seconds, so
that query would mean "prefer articles from about four months ago, with a
preferential spread of about a week or two either way."

For clipping absolute time ranges, how do qt0= and qt1= sound?--

   http://www.lugnet.com/?q=jeremy+sproat&qt0=-1814400&qt1=-0

with the sign of qt0-qt1 specifying the sort order, chronological or reverse
chronological.

As far as the numerical values themselves go, they could absolute times in
the standard epoch format (seconds since 1 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT) or
relative times or both, or expressed in hours or days instead of seconds.

I'd favor seconds and standard epoch time, with a transparent query
generator page.  That is, say the advanced search page is at /news/search/,
and you specify "about 4 months ago."  Then it should calculate the current
time minus 10519200 seconds for you automatically, and do a double-CGI call:
first to process the form and convert "4 months" into 10519200 and second to
respond to the query itself.  (I wouldn't want to litter the URL line with
all of the possible options present on the actual human-interface form
because it's important to keep the URLs short and to separate (abstract) the
query interface layers.)

So when you click the Go button on the advanced search page, it would do
that via HTTP POST (not GET), and that script would interpret the query, and
rewrite it into a URL which gets spit out via a Location: header to enact
the actual query.  (It would be 99% transparent -- all you'd actually see in
your browser is "contacting host..." twice in rapid succession.)

In the URL parser, positive values for time could be interpreted as absolute
values and negative values for time could be interpreted as relative values
(relative to the current time).

--Todd

Re: Web interface search results
In lugnet.admin.general, Jeremy Sproat writes:
[...] I haven't been able to figure out how to use it; e.g., what is
the syntax to, say, modify the query to prefer articles from about four
months ago?
It appears that for now we just have the recent (default) target time and
1-week sigma values. If there is a syntax for overriding these, Todd hasn't
chosen to tell us about it. I would guess that it isn't yet ready for general
use.
A syntax vis-à-vis URLs isn't yet defined, but how does this sound?--
[snippage of URL syntax]
I'd favor seconds and standard epoch time, with a transparent query
generator page.  That is, say the advanced search page is at /news/search/,
and you specify "about 4 months ago."

Sure, sounds okay.  I'm a little nervous about handling raw seconds; the big
numbers make my puny earthling brain hurt.  :-,  How about using the same
syntax used in the traffic report page; e.g.

  http://www.lugnet.com/news/traffic/custom.cgi?hours=6

Shows what's happened in the past 6 hours.  How about something like

  http://www.lugnet.com/?q=jeremy+sproat&qtmonths=6&qsdays=7

to ask for the results to prefer articles submitted a month ago, with s
spread of 7 days?  Hmmm...  There would be lost flexibility then, as you can
only ask for integral values of one time metric.  Arg.  I'll have to
surrender to the intellectual superiority of my browser.  :-P

(I wouldn't want to litter the URL line with
all of the possible options present on the actual human-interface form
because it's important to keep the URLs short and to separate (abstract) the
query interface layers.)

I don't think it matters, really.  With the URL for something more or less
static (like an article), this is true, but we're talking about search
queries here.  With regards to time, searches are very volatile stuff.

So when you click the Go button on the advanced search page, it would do
that via HTTP POST (not GET), and that script would interpret the query, and
rewrite it into a URL which gets spit out via a Location: header to enact
the actual query.

I like this idea.  It'd let you totally separate the query interface from
the actual engine, allowing for gobs of changes to either end, needing
probably minimal changes to the glue-layer CGI.

Cheers,
- jsproat

--
Jeremy H. Sproat <jsproat@io.com>