 Administrative / General / 2616
Re: Jonathan Wilson's posting privileges on LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 18:03:18 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, John VanZwieten writes:
... I imagine there are others on LUGNET who post
without signing (or leave out caps and punctuation) and people overlook it.
-John Van (I even type my sig each time--talk about personal :)

as i pointed out to todd in a personal email days ago.. it's true.. people do
overlook certain netiquette-breaking rules, depending on the overall picture
you've painted of yourself and your demeanor... i never deal with titlecase
when writing personal emails or posts (and i consider my lugnet life to be
personal.. i'm talking to friends here) and not once has anyone ever thrashed
me nastily for my lack caps or my constant use of elipses (hehe!)... i'm *sure*
this would be a different story if practically *everything* else i did here was
annoying and disrespectful.. personally i find some of the quotes in sigs to be
inappropriate, or not <snip>'ing original text to single out sections poignant
to the reply.. but they're coming from people whom i respect and i know their
value in this community, so they get leeway... as far as i'm concerned we *can*
point to JW's specific behaviors that irk us personally.. it only becomes an
issue when an overwhelming number of people point out *separate* issues that
they find irritating.. moreso when they've asked him politely to stop...

bottom line.. if someone wrote me and said they were irritated the way my msg
were formatted and they consider it rude in public forums...

I'd start posting like this.