 Administrative / General / 2591
Re: New review site going up...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 02:28:57 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.admin.general, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> writes:

Todd told me offline he's thinking of empowering someone to do some
content organization in the /reviews/ part of LUGNET.

Not thinking of it; already offered it.

It was a private email so I softened what it said.

Bad idea.

Why do you say it's a bad idea?

Great idea to tap into Joseph G.'s enthusiasm. Sometimes no one does as
good a job as someone who is frustrated by what has been done so far.

Bad idea to write code for this function if it exists already, is GPLed
and is of high quality. I don't know Perl at all, so I cannot comment on
howe well done FAQoMatic is. Seems slick from the user perspective,
though, and that's a good sign. Assuming it is well done, better that
you spend the time on things not already done well by others (unless
there are significant reuse-out components and it (the review data
repository) is not actually all that much like a FAQ).

I fear that the FAQ itself (lugnet.faq) may be suffering from a bit of
overengineering and featuritis, as nothing much seems to be happening at
the mo. Could just be a lull, but...

Every section of the LUGNET website (not just /reviews/) can use a curator
or a set of co-curators for content and links organization.  (Currently, I'm
curating all of the areas myself, but that's no good.  Obviously much more
would get done if N zillion people all could co-curate.  I've still a bit
more code to write before that's a reality.)

Joseph sounded so enthusiastic about getting something going -- yet so
bummed out about past experiences -- that asking him if he wanted to be the
curator of /reviews/ seemed like a perfectly logical thing to do.  (I can
set up a single curator for now without much trouble, but not a bunch
simultaneously yet.)

Well maybe I am misunderstanding what being a curator means. Is it
somewhat like tending links to other places (ala NewHoo before it
changed names) or somewhat like creating and marshalling content? If the
former, great, and maybe one of the first links from /reviews/ would be
to Mike Stanley's brand spanking new install of FAQoMatic...

But if the latter, and if you're the only coder, because you're
cathedraling instead of bazaaring, is it the best use of your time at
the mo? Your call, only you would know, and even if it wasn't, no one
else has any right to specify it, merely suggest and cajole.

grok it now?

I haven't written any new code in several days, so this is perfect timing:
I'm useful, it's fun, it's exciting (because it makes direct progress), and
it's right up the alley of related important issues (90% code overlap with
arbitrary member pages).

This is somewhere where the bazaar method is presenting us a ready made
answer, although it isn't TODD's code. Let's go with the FAQoMatic
approach here (and maybe extend it to the overall FAQ too??) as long as
someone with smarts has perused the actual content with an eye to
inhalability if it doesn't pan out.

I agree.

FAQoMatic sounds like it fits Joseph's bill of requirements wonderfully (not
as well as news threading, but plenty good enough).  It even lets you give
links to external pages, meaning that existing reviews in news articles and
follow-up discussions/commentary are easy to link to, for example:

   http://www.lugnet.com/reviews/?n=12
   http://www.lugnet.com/reviews/?n=54
   http://www.lugnet.com/reviews/?n=105
   http://www.lugnet.com/reviews/?n=143

The LUGNET bazaar approach is still vaporware (it's still an ugly cathedral
approach) so it can't be quite as immediately useful.

I guess I'm not 100% following what you're suggesting happen, so maybe
I'll shut up and go to bed, enough typing for today.

PS if it is about marshalling links, not creating content, and it wasn't
much work, I'd be willing to take on /trains/ (or wherever trains ends
up in the hierarchy) when you're ready. (you just said not yet)

lugnet.